Quote Posted on Updated on
Training that develops and corrects
The Spiritual Discipline unit pages 503 – 565.
Discipline is on page 509 in our textbook.
Scripture: Hebrews 12:10
NASB (New American Standard Version)
For they (earthly fathers) disciplined us for a short time as seemed best to them, but He disciplines us for our good, so that we may share His holiness.
KJV (King James Version)
10 For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness.
11 Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby. (Verbs stressed in bold)
- To punish (in order to bring about improvement in behavior, attitude, etc.); to restrain, moderate
- To make chaste; to purify.
- To punish or reprimand for the sake of improvement; to discipline.
- To render humble or restrained.
Faith is needed to mature; when disciplined, without bitterness.
(also see Hebrews 12:14-15)
Insights from Dr. Stanley
“There is a reticence in the church to talk about discipline.”
Purposes of reticence in the church could be due to outside influences other than the word of God.
The “Me” generation in the United States is a term referring to the baby boomer generation and the self-involved qualities that some people associated with it. The baby boomers (Americans born during the 1946 to 1964 baby boom) were dubbed the “Me” generation by writer Tom Wolfe during the 1970s; Christopher Lasch was another writer who commented on the rise of a culture of narcissism among the younger generation. The phrase caught on with the general public, at a time when “self-realization” and “self-fulfillment” were becoming cultural aspirations among young people, who considered them far more important than social responsibility. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Me_generation
Contrast quality of the early church:
“And all that believed were together, and had all things common” Acts 2:44.
CHURCH SKILLS: A lesson on Discipline when giving
Discipline is needed to enforce conformity when focusing on achieving specific goals.
Example: In a church building fund, a widow’s offering ($5.00) can be looked upon just as a wealthy businessman’s offering ($500).
Even though the larger offering would accomplish more in the long run receiving the poor as the rich is a godly principle and far exceeds regarding individuals more highly because of how much they can give.
DISPLAYS OF DISCIPLINE:
- Parent: “Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right Honor thy father and mother; which is the first commandment with promise;3 That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth. ” … (Eph 6:1-3).
- Teacher: “Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him” John 3:2.
- Supervisors: “His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord” Matt 25:23.
- Authorities: …”But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil” Romans 13:4. (Judges/steel cell).
Holiness is associated to Discipline
“And ye shall be holy unto me: for I the Lord am holy, and have severed you from other people, that ye should be mine” Leviticus 20:26.
RIGHT NOW New Testament Discipline
“Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy” I Peter 1:16.
The wrong attitude is associated with Defeat
Esau despised (though little of) his birthright consequently he lost it.
“Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled.
16 Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright. 17 For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears. Hebrews 12:16-17.
Cain refused instruction his response (Gen. 4:7)”Am I my brother’s keeper?”
|You can judge the quality of their faith from the way they behave. Discipline is an index to doctrine. Tertullian|
“For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.”
- We are to respond to our corrective discipline with the faith that our loving Father is doing what is best.
- We need to respond with the belief that it is for our good
- We are to respond to our discipline with expectancy, not with shock
- We are to respond to our correction with submission
- It is wrong to think God is anger.
- Another wrong response to the chastening of God is to get discouraged and give up.
- The last wrong response the whole thing away
The Expectations of a Disciple of Christ
Correction is for training in our lives so that we may be conformed to the Lord Jesus Christ that we “go therefore and make disciples.”
“…The testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy…”
Trust in Him!
Black and built to come back from authority. They left me vice versa from the majority. They had me rebelling, rock-hard retaliation; because I was weakened by propagandic aggravation. Now I’m embracing the case regression, and protesting all authoritative rhetoric, amoral and misleading. As a human being; my eyes through which I’m seeing. The pot just melts, corruption is dealt and damage is felt, by 35 percent of my people, dwelling and scattered out equal, all over this land, surviving if they can. All hell another dead from my family, and if you’re not on the lam, tune in there are many trails you can be blazing. I’m not angry but when I see something hazy, it becomes crazy, to my amazing ability, to think critically. I enlarge my identity, to constantly find, fertility of my mind. Then I form an outline, for the enhancing of my rhyme – then I start to revive swiftly the ancient solutions. Not the constitution or the fourth of July. To really get by, take control of your area. Pull your brothers near you – and LOVE those that hate you – It’s true to nature we were meant to be greater – educators and creators, not imitators and violators. If it’s my verbatim – and you’re not relating, there is a need to comprehend, educate yourself, don’t go back again to the dangers of corruption, (because) the jails speak for themselves. My people, who are keen, use their ability to seek illegal means, to support their needs, but they shouldn’t feed into the fast lifestyle. After a while it’s yourself that you gyp, it’s the 90’s and now I am equipped, saying it out loud without guilt and it’s good to see that I’m Black an Built to Come-back from Authority.