Image Posted on Updated on
“Expressions of Love”
Through creation “God who makes the tides ebb and flow cares for me”
- Giving us freedom to chose “Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty” (2 Corinthians 3:17).
- Putting us in a family (I John 3:1).
- sending the Holy Spirit to live within us (I John 4:16).
- engineering our circumstances for our good and His glory (Romans 8:28).
- By providing Heaven “In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you” (John 14:2).
- His uninterupted presence in our lives “I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.” Hebrews 13:5
LOVE Distinctions in Greek Defined
Agape love: sacrificial commitment, dedicated to the well being of another/
Phileo love: brotherly affection/
Eros love: sexual affection
“We love him, because he first loved us.” King James Version (KJV)
“We love, because He first loved us.” New American Standard Bible (NASB)
“We love* because he first loved us.” New International Version (NIV)
“We love Him, because He first loved us.” Amplified Bible (AMP)
*4:19 Greek We love. Other manuscripts read We love God; still others read We love him.
Author Back Drop/John, the Disciple of Love
John was from among Jesus’ original twelve disciples. Along with Peter and James, John was considered a member of Jesus’ inner circle (Matthew 17:1, Mark 5:13, 14:33; Luke 8:51). It was this same John who was at the foot of the cross during Jesus’ crucifixion, when Jesus gave John the responsibility to care for his mother Mary (John 19:26). John’s proximity to Jesus was apparent as it is recorded that John laid his head upon Jesus’ bosom (John 13:23), and he is referred to as “the disciple whom Jesus loved” on several occasions in scripture (John 19:26; 20:2; 21:7; 21:20). Among all the things that are attributed to John, he is noted by many through the ages as the ‘Disciple of Love’. He penned one of the most quoted summation of the Gospel:. (excerpt: R. Boswell, Thesis: A Study in Revelation, 4/15/14 pg.2)
Compare and Contrast the following Scripture:
“For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” John 3:16
“Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.” I John 3:16
- Agape: highest (vertical) form of love or the principal (first) of the (nine)Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22, page 417) Eros: for the most intimate part of marriage (intimate, most holy place)
- The horizontal form of Love should saturate the body of Christ
I was approached by a homeless man in the parking lot at a local shopping center. He asked me if I had something so that he could get a hot meal. I handed him a bill, “I hope this helps.” We exchanged cordial remarks then parted. Thinking about the fact that I had scripture cards in my pocket, I called him back over, he shuffled back and I handed him a scripture card that read, “There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit” (Romans 8:1); Responded by pulling out a Bible from his stuff and he said to me “my favorite scripture is I John 3:16 “because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers people should be more attentive to the poor in their midst instead of having an attitude against the poor, People don’t like giving to the poor when the say they are hungry because they may spend it on alcohol or harmful drugs”
- Do I give to those who confront me on the street?
- People should be more attentive to the poor in their midst instead of having a negative attitude against the poor.
- Phileo: “let brotherly love continue” Heb 13:1 (horizontal) 1 John 3:16 King James Version (KJV)
- The two 3:16 scriptures have a complementary message LOVE GIVES sacrificially.
- “A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.” John 13:34-35
“Conflicts seem to dissolve themselves when people live according to 1 Cor. 13. The ultimate prescription for harmonious living” Dr. James Dobson
- Love Conflicts Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.1 John 2:15
- Love is Family Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.1 John 3:1
- Love is Salvation We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.1 John 3:14
- Love is Reciprocal Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.1 John 4:11
- Love is God And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.1 John 4:16
- Love is Fearless There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love. 1 John 4:18
- Love is Obedient And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.2 John 1:6
- Love is Tolerent As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.Rev.3:19
- Love is Martyr Minded And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death (Revelation 12:11)
God is the God of Love:
Love is needed to flow with the grace of God and the parameters that God establishes. It is no such thing as Love and Hate occupying the same space or Faith and Fear doing the same. You cannot have Love (agape) outside of a relationship with God.
A inferior response to casting our fear can manifest. It is only by the grace of God that, once you find the grass is not greener… you come to your senses and turn your life over to God. (I John 4:18).
The Necessity of Spiritual Warfare
With so many voices telling you how to be free, you are at risk of using an inferior agent to cast out fear by relinguishing love. Name five inferior agents mentioned by C.S. Lewis in our text that can cast our fear? (page 420).