Quote Posted on Updated on
The Capacity to Exercise Choice
Scripture: Genesis 2:16-17
“And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: (17) But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.” KJV
The Purest Example for freedom was established in the Garden
Adam and Eve were sinless and immortal. It was their responsibility to govern God’s entire creation. Satan sought to create a wedge between God and Adam. Satan envied Adam because of his bond with God. That relationship could not be infiltrated but Satan caught a break in the commandment. “For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and slew me” (Rom’s 7:11). “Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression” (I Tim. 2:14). Adam chose a Permanent Solution (Sin) for a Temporary Problem (Satan) resulting in “One Costly Meal.”
“One costly meal” from sermon delivered at True Light COGIC by Pastor Dr Terrell Harris (12/8/12)
Examine the following Scripture:
“Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression” (I Tim. 2:14).
God is the God of Freedom:
Freedom is the ability and authority to do anything within the parameters that God establishes. It is no such thing as freedom without consequences as in the Garden of Eden. In the presence of deception pseudo-freedom is alluring (grass is greener scenario). You cannot be free outside a relationship with God.
“Biblical Figures who had freedom made a bad choice but SNAPPED OUT OF IT”
- Prodigal Son… left home
- Nebuchadnezzar… lifted with pride
- Jonah… went the wrong way
Once you find the grass is not greener… you come to your senses. A negative response after succumbing to false freedom is Blame-shifting.
The Necessity of Spiritual Warfare
“With so many voices telling you how to be free, you are at risk of relinguishing your freedom, unless you remain vigilant and equipped for Satan’s attack” (page 320).
- Children & Teens (voices of Peer Pressure, voices of name calling) Sticks and Stones: words are a powerful tool either uplift or tear down.
- Away from parents strange voices may influence negative behavior
- Young Adults (voices of rebellion)
- Free to enjoy entertainment may contradict what God wants. What you read, watch and listen to from the world’s media may attack your relationship with God (turn the channel).
- Adults (voices of financial pressures and impulsive spending)
- Bad choices with economic freedom may result in financial bondage
Real (true) Freedom is obedience to God’s truth. Pseudo (false) Freedom is listening to Satan’s lie.
We must exercise our freedom of choice by seeking and following God’s direction. Wise decision making comes from seeking God’s wisdom. Wise choices come from seeking God’s will. They result in following His ways.” Charles Stanley